Wednesday, June 24

sunshine on my Shoulder...

Some people have a plethora of grey squirrels, we have this American red squirrel who is a daily feeder visitor, summer and winter. These little guys are also known as pine squirrels, and are about as feisty a small creature as you could find. Field guides note that they are very territorial, absolutely a true statement! Caching of pine cones and other food is critical to winter survival, so they are very protective of prime foraging territory.

Guerilla fighters have nothing on a red squirrel when it is running off interlopers. Blue jays are a particular target at our feeder, chasing and "swearing" is frequent if they both show up at the same time. This little female won't even share the feeder with her squirrel kids, she chases them off as vigorously as the blue jays.


2 comments:

Becka said...

She is so dainty compared to my big grey guys. I love the foot scratching action shot.

Anonymous said...

I never get squirrels.....one because my trees are still pencils and two because my hubby thinks they are "target practice" not "dainty" or the least bit cute
b.