Monday, June 13

a pair of golden Eyes



Bufo americanus


I have been intrigued by amphibians since childhood, when my father would take us hunting for red efts in the Adirondack woodlands. Red efts are the juvenile stage of Eastern red spotted newts and were a favorite to find by carefully turning over rotting logs. Creepy crawlies of all sorts elicited shrieks, but the little salamanders were like finding  buried treasure.


This American toad was toddling through the wet grass of my daughter's lawn after the previous evening's rain. He elicited shrieks from my grandson, who didn't think toads belonged in the kitchen during breakfast. Mr.Toad was relocated to the perennial garden and everyone was happier, particularly the toad, as you might guess from his expression. "We are not amused." (quoth the gentleman, borrowing from Queen Victoria)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still haven't mentioned to nate that the toad was actually in the kitchen .....i decided that was info better kept to myself :)

b.